SC - OT - loaf (was OT -bellpepper baking)

Tue Aug 24 12:26:28 PDT 1999

> All right, I'll run with that. The hleifr connection exists in English,
> too, with the Anglo-Saxon word hlaef being thought to be the source not
> only of "loaf", but also of lady (contracted from words meaning
> "loaf-maker") and lord (contracted from words denoting "loaf-giver").
> Yes, once again, an example of the ladies doing all the work. (Care to
> comment on _that_ one, Bear ;  ) ?)
>
> Adamantius
> --
> Phil & Susan Troy

Another possible derivation of lord is a contraction denoting "loaf
guardian".

In societies like the Germanic tribes, men tend to arg--uh, debate, drink,
hunt, fish and fight (sounds like a Legion on garrison duty, eh,
Adamantius).  From this consideration, we might come to the opinion that the
word actually means "loafer".  However, hard working women, saved us from
ourselves and created civilization (along with money, luxury and stores), so
that men might become more active in the community, seek greater rewards and
enrich themselves, which is probably why all the bakers in Rome were men.

Bear