SC - Removes or courses?

Thu Aug 26 13:05:17 PDT 1999

> "Decker, Terry D." wrote:
> >
> > The correct term is "course".
>
> For practical purposes, this is true. I've seen particular instances of
> documentation for the terms "service" and "issue" being used to refer to
> specific courses. F'rinstance, I believe Le Menagier speaks of an issue
> of wafers, spices, and hippocras. These may, of course, be translated
> terms, also.
>
> Hard to go wrong with "course" for SCA purposes, though.
>
> Adamantius

Service is perfectly correct in English, being the serving of food, the
manner in which it is served, or the set of dishes on which it is served.
It's not commonly used in the first two meanings.

Menagier's use of "issue" is interesting.  It might be worthwhile to look at
the nuances of the French word to see if there is a more appropriate English
word.

What we need are sets of appropriate and period terms in different languages
to use for different types of feast.  That would help liven up the menu.

Bear