SC - .....Carrots

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Aug 26 15:12:33 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/25/99 12:27:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
allilyn at juno.com writes:

<< There are late period paintings of big, fat, orange carrots.  I've never
 seen a maroon one, though.  Check the beautiful paintings reproduced in
 Castelvetro for a look at 16th and 17th C fruits and veggies. >>

I understand your intentions here but I would suggest that the inclusion of
orange carrots in early modern art is not relevant to their availability in
medieval gardens. Since 16th and 17th century CE fruits and vegetables are
outside the realms of medieval cookery I seldom if ever take into account
evidence first appearing in that time period. Even if they did exist then,
their depiction is not proof that they existed during the 900 yrs. before
then.

Certainly you have some support for including orange carrots in feasts from
the late 1500s and 1600s CE. However, both written and pictorial evidence
appears to dismiss their use in the period preceding 1450 CE in the color
orange. Of course, barring a garden or a friend who has a garden, a
substitution of orange carrots in actual medieval feasts is acceptable, IMO.

Ras