SC - Pennsic Potluck

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Fri Aug 27 08:57:06 PDT 1999

<snip>

>In one of the food classes I was in at Pennsic, taught by Honour Horne-Jaruk
>(Alizaunde, Demoiselle de Bregeuf) she said that haggis within out period
>was the food of the nobility and was composed of dried fruit in the stomach
>rather than the lights. She said that later on it became the food of the
>lower classes and that was when the fruit was replaced by the organ meats
>and lungs and such.
>
>While I have several haggis recipes in my haggis-msg file, they can best
>be described as traditional and I believe are undated.
>
>Does anyone have evidence to confirm or deny her comments?
<snip>

Here are the haggis & haggis-like recipes from Harleian 279, c. 1430:

Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez
xxj.  An Entrayle.  Take a chepis wombe; take Polettys y-rostyd, & hew hem;
[th]en take Porke, chese, & Spicery, & do it on a morter, & grynd alle
y-fere; [th]en take it vppe with Eyroun y-swonge, & do in [th]e wombe, &
Salt, & se[th]e hem tyl he be y-nowe, & serue forth.

Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez
xxv.  Hagws of a schepe.  Take [th]e Roppis with [th]e talour, & parboyle
hem; [th]an hakke hem smal; grynd pepir, & Safroun, & brede, & [3]olkys of
Eyroun, & Raw kreme or swete Mylke:  do al to-gederys, & do in [th]e grete
wombe of the Schepe, [th]at is, the mawe; & [th]an se[th]e hym an serue
forth ynne.

Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez
xxvj.  Frawnchemyle.  Nym Eyroun with [th]e whyte, & gratid Brede, & chepis
talow, Also grete as dyse; nym Pepir, Safroun, & grynd alle to-gederys, &
do in [th]e wombe of [th]e chepe, [th]at is, [th]e mawe; & se[th]e hem wyl,
& serue forth.

Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez
xl.  Puddyng of purpaysse.  Take [th]e Blode of hym, & [th]e grece of hym
self, & Ote-mele, & Salt, & Pepir, & Gyngere, & melle [th]ese to-gederys
wel, & [th]an putte [th]is in [th]e Gutte of [th]e purpays, & [th]an lat it
se[th]e esyli, & not hard, a good whylys; & [th]an take hym vppe, & broyle
hym a lytil, & [th]an serue f[orth].

Not a raisin in sight.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu