SC - haggis

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Aug 28 00:42:28 PDT 1999

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu replied to my questions on haggis with:

> >In one of the food classes I was in at Pennsic, taught by Honour Horne-Jaruk
> >(Alizaunde, Demoiselle de Bregeuf) she said that haggis within out period
> >was the food of the nobility and was composed of dried fruit in the stomach
> >rather than the lights. She said that later on it became the food of the
> >lower classes and that was when the fruit was replaced by the organ meats
> >and lungs and such.
> >
> >While I have several haggis recipes in my haggis-msg file, they can best
> >be described as traditional and I believe are undated.
> >
> >Does anyone have evidence to confirm or deny her comments?
> <snip>
>
> Here are the haggis & haggis-like recipes from Harleian 279, c. 1430:
>
> Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez
> xxj.  An Entrayle.  Take a chepis wombe; take Polettys y-rostyd, & hew hem;
> [th]en take Porke, chese, & Spicery, & do it on a morter, & grynd alle
> y-fere; [th]en take it vppe with Eyroun y-swonge, & do in [th]e wombe, &
> Salt, & se[th]e hem tyl he be y-nowe, & serue forth.
>
> Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez
> xxv.  Hagws of a schepe.  Take [th]e Roppis with [th]e talour, & parboyle
> hem; [th]an hakke hem smal; grynd pepir, & Safroun, & brede, & [3]olkys of
> Eyroun, & Raw kreme or swete Mylke:  do al to-gederys, & do in [th]e grete
> wombe of the Schepe, [th]at is, the mawe; & [th]an se[th]e hym an serue
> forth ynne.
>
> Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez
> xxvj.  Frawnchemyle.  Nym Eyroun with [th]e whyte, & gratid Brede, & chepis
> talow, Also grete as dyse; nym Pepir, Safroun, & grynd alle to-gederys, &
> do in [th]e wombe of [th]e chepe, [th]at is, [th]e mawe; & se[th]e hem wyl,
> & serue forth.
>
> Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez
> xl.  Puddyng of purpaysse.  Take [th]e Blode of hym, & [th]e grece of hym
> self, & Ote-mele, & Salt, & Pepir, & Gyngere, & melle [th]ese to-gederys
> wel, & [th]an putte [th]is in [th]e Gutte of [th]e purpays, & [th]an lat it
> se[th]e esyli, & not hard, a good whylys; & [th]an take hym vppe, & broyle
> hym a lytil, & [th]an serue f[orth].
>
> Not a raisin in sight.

Thank you for these wonderful, dated recipes. While I am having a little
trouble reading these, I don't see any fruit and unless I've missed it
I don't see any mention of the usual lights or organ meats either.

Stefan

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: