SC - uses for leftover almond crumbs?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Aug 28 20:22:47 PDT 1999

Bear said:
> It is likely the darkest loaves in the Middle Ages were adulterated with nut
> flour or ground legumes.  In general, the bread of choice was fine wheat
> bread, as white as possible, and brown breads were for the less affluent.  I
> haven't tried these flours yet, but it is an idea for what to do with the
> leftover walnuts from the Christmas baking.

You mentioned leftover walnuts and it made me think of the leftover almond
crumbs left from making almond milk. I'm thinking of the stuff that is
strained out of the almond milk solution after your mix the ground almonds
in the water or broth. The liquid becomes the almond milk, but what do most
folks do with the almond crumbs or mash? I think there are some period recipes
that use this mash. Can this be used for marchepane? Seems a waste to throw
this out, especially for a large feast.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: