SC - Stuffed food in Period (was bell pepper thread)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Aug 29 20:13:04 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 24 Aug 99,, that Chris and Trish Makowski wrote:

> Stuffed cabbage is a traditional Russian food, though I'm not sure if and
> how far into period it goes, as I can't find many good period Russian
> sources. The best one I have is an english copy of the Domostroi that I
> found at Half Price Books a couple years ago. It has a few recipies in it,
> but cabbage is listed in it as a needed food stuff. So I'm going on a limb
> here, but I'd bet that stuffed cabbage is period in the Slavic areas. I'll
> keep  looking for he documentation to back it up.

I can't help with Slavic, other than to say that the new medieval Polish
cookbook has no recipes for stuffed cabbage.  There is a late period
Spanish recipe, but it involves cutting a hole in a head of cabbage and
stuffing *that*, rather than wrapping cabbage leaves around a filling.  Oh,
and there's a recipe for stuffed gourds.  But most of the recipes I've seen
for stuffed things seem to be for critters.  Fish.  Chicken.  Cow udders.

> Anya

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)