SC - Stuffed food in Period (was bell pepper thread)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Aug 30 17:46:19 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 30 Aug 99,, that Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Lady Brighid ni Chiarain said:
> > There is a late period
> > Spanish recipe, but it involves cutting a hole in a head of cabbage and
> > stuffing *that*, rather than wrapping cabbage leaves around a filling.
> > Oh, and there's a recipe for stuffed gourds.

> This cabbage recipe that you mention is much closer to what i think of as
> a stuffed vegetable rather than just wrapping the leaves around something.
> Could you possibly post the recipe for this stuffed cabbage recipe and the
> stuffed gourd recipe? Or at least give the cookbooks where these might be
> found?

Both recipes are in Granado (_Libro del Arte de Cozina_, 1599).  And
yes, I can post them.  I should explain perhaps something, though.
Most of the time, when a topic comes up on this list, I tend to scan the
Spanish sources that I have, to see if there's anything pertinent to the
discussion.  Now, I'm about halfway through translating the 240+
recipes in de Nola (1529), so sometimes when a question comes up, I
have something that's already in English that can just be copied to the
list.  Granado has 763 recipes, and the only ones I've translated from
there are the ones I've posted to this list.  So when I say "there's a late-
period Spanish recipe..." what I generally mean is that I've glanced at
something in the original Spanish.  Before I can post the recipe in
question, I usually have to translate it first.  Please bear with me if
there's a delay.

I hope this doesn't sound cranky and self-pitying (ah, the dangers of a
text medium!) -- it's not meant to be.  I enjoy the challenge of
translation.  It's good practice for me, and is usually fairly easy.
Sixteenth century Spanish is practically modern, except for the
occasional odd spelling or tricky idiom.  (OTOH, _Arte Cisoria_, the
1423 carving manual by Villena, is written in Spanish so archaic and
cryptically spelled, that it's hard for me to do more than paraphrase.
Fortunately, it contains no recipes, only food lists, carving instructions,
and serving suggestions, so I rarely have occasion to do more than
mention it in passing.)

Having explained all that, let me get back to the cabbage.  The recipe
actually contains two parts.  The second half has instruction for stuffing
a whole head of cabbage, but the first half has instructions for stuffing
cabbage leaves.  I somehow managed to overlook that when I skimmed
though the recipe before.  As for the gourds, there are two recipes: one
for a flesh day and a Lenten version.  I will get to each of these as soon
as I can.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)