SC - questions: TO BOIL PHEASANTS, PARTRIDGES, CAPONS AND CURLEWS

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Aug 30 22:58:17 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 30 Aug 99,, that LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/30/99 9:52:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> Seton1355 at aol.com writes:
>
> << What is canel flour?>>
>
> Ground cinnamon

The original phrase quoted, as I recall, was "flower of canel".  I agree
that canel is cinnamon.  However, though "flower" might be a homonym
for "flour", it could also mean "flower" in the sense of the finest or best;
ex., "the flower of chivalry".  Of course, if the latter meaning is intended,
that still does not preclude it from being the finest *ground* cinnamon.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann