SC - Anthro and cooking

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Tue Aug 31 00:03:47 PDT 1999

Varju at aol.com wrote:

> While I was in Hungary, one of the guys returned from a trip to Budapest with
> a box of Kellog's Cornflakes.  We gathered in his room with bowls and milk
> and enjoyed a bit of homesickness.  A few of the Hungarians tried them and
> were totally unimpressed.  Once we could find the store he bought them at
> every one of us would stop by to see what new stock they had when we were in
> Budapest.  The owner did actually order peanut butter in for us, which we
> were kind enough to share and even found a couple of Hungariana who had
> gotten hooked on peanut butter when they were in the US.  Thew rest weren't
> too sure about it. . .
>
> Noemi

While in a 'magazin' during a trip to the city to reprovision, couple of
the guys from my crew spotted this king-sized bag of sugar-encrusted
corn flakes ('frosted' was too tame a word for these....) made in the
USA and imported. They bought these, as they couldn't stomach the daily
rations of kasha in the morning. As they also wouldn't drink the local
milk (unpasteurized, pretty much straight from the cow, but see note
below), they would dilute the condensed milk we had and pour this over
the cornflake stuffed sugar crystals. The thought of it actually made my
stomach churn.

Towards the end of the stay, we were in a 'magazin' and spotted these
familar cans stacked on the shelves behind the counter. Cans of Western
Family brand fruit and vegetables, imported from Portland, Oregon, about
5 hours from where we came from (southern Oregon). Here we travel
halfway around the world, to find cans of our 'local' produce.

Refering back to the milk. Sometimes the commercially pasteurized milk
could be more unsanitary than the local milk. Drivers had been known to
'sell' under the table part of the truck tankload, then make up the
difference in volume by topping off the tank with stream/creek water.
Giardia was present in some of them. We boiled and/or bio-filtered our
water, even taken from the stream not to far from the spring.

Seumas
- --
James F. Johnson
seumas at mind.net