SC - Recipe databases

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Tue Aug 31 21:42:12 PDT 1999

Meliora wrote:
>So if we could swing it, providing both sets of measurements and stating if
>it is US or British would cover just about everybody?  If Drake can do that
>of course.

Though if it's easy enough to do both English and American, then one could
also consider doing metric measurements and, for baking recipes, bakers'
percentages (that's where all ingredients are stated as a percentage of the
flour, for recipe comparison purposes).

The machine could store measurements in metric and do conversions as needed
for output. This might simplify data storage, because in the metric system
you can easily go with just one unit for each type of measure (volume, mass,
area etc.). But there could be at least two problems. First, there's the
question of rounding off. Perhaps the user could specify a level of
precision, with a default such as 5% or so being used whenever the user
didn't pick one. Otherwise you could start with a nice neat number and end
up with something like 1.394 tsp. after converting a measurement. The other
problem is that it could be very hard to get a computer to choose the right
liquid and solid units of volume. It's hard enough for most liveware cooks
to keep their liquid and solid measures straight; computers could add to the
problem.

So - just how many features is this thing going to have? Will there be Mac
and Linux versions? :-)

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon