SC - Re: SC My Mac and Cheese "Goulash"

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Tue Aug 3 03:45:18 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/2/99 9:41:05 PM US Mountain Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<<
 If I didn't know better, I'd think it a habit of Americans to use the
 term "goulash" as synonymous with "hash", a mixture of chopped-up stuff.
 What's the deal, folks? Any insights?

Don't know about "Americans".  Just know that in the part of the world I grew
up in any dish that contained several diverse ingredients just kinda all
thrown in the same pot and cooked together was usually called "goulash"
unless we had a real name for it.  "Goulash" was a catch all phrase, and
generally covered any casserole or thick stew type dish.
For instance:

Pat's Mac and Cheese Goulash

1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1 clove garlic
1 large onion, diced
8 oz. macaroni, cooked
1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar
1/3 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Brown meat over medium - high heat.  Add 1 cup warm water then drain to
remove excess fat.  Return to pan.  Add crushed garlic clove and diced
onions.  Continue to cook until onions are translucent.  Stir in other
ingredients, adding salt and pepper last.  Remove from heat when hot all the
way through and serve immediately.  Serve with crisp tossed salad for a
hearty lunch.

Mordonna