SC - On a Tangential, OT Note - Was: Potato salad+pasta salad- the mild Oregon version - OOP

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Tue Aug 3 11:15:16 PDT 1999

At 23:07 2-8-1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Well well well,
>
>RE: 'goulash'-
>	My mom always made the elbow macaroni/hamburger/onion/bell
>pepper/paprika stuff and called it Goulash. (Personally I like it- serious
>comfort food!) She grew up in the Middlest of middle-class backgrounds in
>Southern Cal, and that is how her mother made it too. Why it is called
>goulash is beyond me, as is why it is thought to be Hungarian. I always
>counted it up as typical American imperialism.

My mum was from Florida (excuse me, I mean "Flaawada"), and she often made
that sort of "goulash," too.

As for the "American chop suey," the first time I ran across that name was
when I was on the tender - they served it fairly often.  Don't believe I've
ever seen it called that anywhere else, though I suppose if they were
calling it that on the tender, then that['s what it's called in the Navy
recipe deck.

ALasdair mac Iain

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie  [southeastern CT]
Barony Beyond the Mountain  [northern & southeastern CT]
East Kingdom
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and
in chief two mullets sable