SC - Icelandic chicken and variants

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 11:01:21 PDT 1999

- --- "Peters, Rise J." <rise.peters at spiegelmcd.com> wrote:
> You wrote:
> >     Hummmmm, that's a thought for Christmas--if my dad gets
> > any more annoyed
> > at the geese that insist on invading their yard, he may pull
> > out the gun! ;-)
> >
> >                             Ldy Diana
>
> He will want to check with local game officials first.  There is an
> international Migratory Bird Treaty that has serious penalties for
> interfering with migratory birds.  Now, I'd agree with those who
> believe
> that Canada geese should be classed as "varmints" (and there is no
> treaty on
> migrating varmints) but it would be a shame to get in trouble for
> messing
> with them!

No kidding!  Here in PA, a family was going to be fined $500 (I think)
for actually eating the wild turkey that had the bad timing to fly into
their patio door and break its neck OUT of turkey season.  Apparently,
they should have turned over the already-dead bird to the game
commission (who, presumably, would NOT eat it themselves?).  Charges
were dropped when the press made much of this idiocy.

Another question, though: does the migratory bird thingie apply to
resident non-migrating populations of Canada Geese?  We have plenty of
those running around -- I think we ought to be able to trap them like
any other semi-domesticated semi-urban nusance species.  I'd even apply
this to the deer that leave the over-populated state park in winter to
kill the new trees/shrubs in my yard.  Note, though, couldn't shoot
them here in the suburbs -- that would be reckless as well as illegal.

- -- Harriet