SC - Cooking by "hand"

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 9 19:56:48 PDT 1999

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> When I am cooking creatively, I very seldom measure anything.  One thing I do
> measure in savory dishes is the salt.  For most average size dishes, I add
> one "Justin" of salt.
> What is a "Justin"?  Well, it's a measurement my Cajun Mother taught me.  I
> did not know of a name for it until I saw Justin Wilson, the Cajun Chef use
> it in one of his TV shows:  So it became a "Justin" in our family.  Cup your
> left palm, pour in enough salt to fill the hollow to the level experience
> teaches you.  I've measured it many times, and it is always exactly 1 tsp.
> Does anyone else have a reliable "hand" measurement that they use with
> consistency?
>
> Mordonna

Yes. Professional cooks (although rarely bakers) do this all the time,
because it saves on washing the little spoons and cuppy things, and time
hunting them up and then putting them down.

When I started doing the cooking thing seriously I would measure a
teaspoon of salt, or whatever, then put it into my cupped palm, to see
how much of it was filled, and I eventually got to the point where I no
longer needed the spoon.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy