SC - Cooking by "hand"

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 10 17:20:48 PDT 1999

Varju at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/10/1999 11:07:17 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
> lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu writes:
>
> << I have one of his early cookbooks on my shelf. Scary from a
> fat/cholesterol standpoint, but yummy food.>>
>
> I still maintain that real Hungarian cooking is the scariest foor from a fat
> cholestorol standpoint. . .but also absolutely wonderful. . .
>
> Noemi

You may not be far off, with the cuisine of Savoy coming close, as does
Kosher Roumanian. There's a restaurant in downtown Manhattan (one I've
always hankered to go to, BTW) called Sammy's Roumanian Steak House.
Suffice it to say that they serve a pot of schmear and a bowl of grebens
at the table (my apologies for bad spelling, if I'm off). They make
French fries and several other fried potato dishes fried in goose or
chicken fat, as well as several fairly fatty sauteed steak dishes,
including the redoubtable Roumanian Steak, pathietic shadows of which
appear on the menus of most diners around these parts. But this is the
real thing, a sort of marinated churrasco, heavy on the garlic and paprika.

You're supposed to wash this down with semi-frozen vodka, and afterwards
have thick black Turkish coffee with sugar, and perhaps even a pancake
fried in...well, you know. Critics have called this place a heart attack
on a plate, and I was never sure if it was meant as a compliment or a detraction.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com