SC - Romantic Foods

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed Aug 11 02:04:28 PDT 1999

Adamantius wrote:

>That's the one. If you have a reference proving it isn't merely some
>fantasy of Stanley Tucci's, I'd be eternally grateful, and might even
>manage to get you a chunk of tympano...it looks magnificent, doesn't it?

Well, one recipe for a grand timpano/timballo is to be found here:

http://www.northend.com/homepage/recipes/recipe30.htm

Although my favorite is the description in Il Gattopardo by Giuseppe di
Lampedusa: "The burnished gold of the crusts, the fragrance of the sugar and
cinnamon they exuded, were but preludes to the delights released from the
interior when the knife broke the crust; first came a spice-laden haze, then
chicken livers, hard-boiled eggs, sliced ham, chicken and truffles in masses
of piping hot, glistening macaroni, to which the meat juice gave an
exquisite hue of suede." I quoted this passage in my book but had to do a
new Icelandic translation - the novel had been translated by one of our most
eminent poets but he had mangled this passage quite dreadfully - it was
obvious he knew next to nothing about food.

Nanna