SC - Severely off topic .... Personna help

Wed Aug 11 04:18:29 PDT 1999

> Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > Apparently, one of my
> > ancestors in the fourteenth century was called Lord of Tondas de la
> Chappelle
> > Du Bosc, somewhere in France.  The family names of DuBose and DuBois are
> > anglicizations of Du Bosc.
>
> Possibly, but I always assumed DuBois to be pretty simple French
> meaning, "of the woods" or some such.
>
> Adamantius

I think you may find Bosc has the meaning of "thicket", also spelled
bosquet.  It appears to be related to the Spanish "bosque" which is where I
encountered the word.  According to the quick ref, the word is a diminutive
of "bosco" or forest of  Germanic origin.

Du Bois is basically "of the woods" or "woodland".

Bear