SC - Romantic Food

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Aug 13 04:15:31 PDT 1999

James F. Johnson wrote:

> WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com wrote:
>
> > FLUMMERY

> A similar, near exact recipe was given to me years ago, under the name
> "Athol Brose."

	I must warn you all that Athol Brose is powerful stuff- deceptively so.
I don't think Seumas was there (though he WILL remember if he was) but
at a 12th Night some 4 or 5 years ago, a bunch of us, including several
peers and my then-boyfriend, a knight-pel, were sitting around on the
beds in the Adiantum hospitality room, drinking Athol Brose and
chatting. It was my first experience with the stuff. I'd had no idea how
much I'd had until the conversation turned 'round to thjing that we do
to stay grounded, to remember what we're doing, not get too full of
ourselves, etc., including more than one knight who admitted to wearing
lucky socks. When it came around to me, to everyone's amazement, wearing
full headdress and veils and all of my regailia,I hiked up the skirts of
the painfully period cotehardie, past the stockings and garters, to one
hip, and showed them... my Mickey Mouse underpants. Several people,
including the Baroness, immediately fell off the beds laughing. And I
have never lived it down. (Do I want to? I don't know...)

Keep me away from the Athol Brose,

'Lainie