Wild speculation (was RE: Northern Foods was Re: SV: SC - Introducing Myself)

Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com
Fri Aug 13 14:25:05 PDT 1999

Bonne says >>>The supposition I was
trying to make in my second post was not that they purposely harvested
unripe grain, but knowingly began the harvest a bit sooner just to be on
the
safe side.  >>>

I have another wild speculation to throw into the mix.  This past weekend I
flipped through the Foxfire Books at a friend's house.  (*These books are a
compilation of a magazine published in the 1960s/1970s by Appalachian high
school English classes that focused on vanishing traditions & techniques of
their region; I don't know how long the mag ran or how many books came
out.)

Mixed in with info on how to butcher hogs, racoons, etc is a chapter on
planting "by the signs".  The older generation--and many of the
younger--had specific zodiac references to when it would be "the right
time" to plant.  I don't remember exactly but it was the kind of thing like
"Don't put your corn in when the moon is waning, or it will stay short."

So here comes the wild speculation...If planting and harvesting by "the
signs" then perhaps "the right time" to bring in the harvest would be
before the grain was ripe?

Has anyone encountered any references like this in Old World ms?

Agriculturally yours,
Emme