SC - Mystery Recipes

Sun Aug 15 06:21:09 PDT 1999

Having taken a run at mystery recipe #2, I can say in makes a soft bread
similar in texture to the manchets I've been experimenting with.

I used a vegetable shortening in the recipe.  Butter or lard should give a
better flavor.

The ingredient list does not show salt, but the instructions do.  Use 1 to 2
teaspoons of salt.  It will improve the flavor and the crust.

Add the flour slowly.  The dough should be soft and pliable without being
sticky.  Forcing flour into the dough will make the resulting bread too
heavy.  After the dough forms a ball, knead it on a lightly floured surface.

I made my version as rolls, but it should work fine as a single loaf.

I baked at 350 F for 35 minutes.  I'll probably try 375 F next time I do
this.

For a slightly lighter bread, I might try a couple hours rise rather than
pop it in after the ten minute wait for the oven to heat up.

Out of curiosity, I may try this recipe as a drop biscuit using the dough
while it is still a light sticky right after the mixture forms a ball.

Bear