SC - idle thoughts are tools of the cook...(Recipes)

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Mon Aug 16 21:42:42 PDT 1999

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 00:44:04 -0700 "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org>
writes:
>Greetings, all!
>
>	A question for those of you who are not off warring with each
>other...
>	I was thinking of making a roast in the very near future,
>something
>that could be served sliced cold, maybe with sauce. I had thought
>immediately of Cormarye from _Curye of Inglysch_, but that's a pork
>roast, and I'd prefer not to use pork this time. Does anyone have an
>idea for something like Cormarye, but beef? Or would the same recipe
>work with beef? I don't recall ever making a major substitution like
>that before. Any ideas?
>
>'Lainie

Try one of the following.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kitchen Steward of Household Port Karr
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com

	Roast of Meat, A (Western Islamic, 13th c.)
	Andalusian p. A-38.
	From Cariadoc's Miscellany. Copyright © by David Friedman, 1988,
1990, 1992
	Roast salted, well-marbled meat [cut up] like fingertips, and put
in a pot spices, onion, salt, oil and soaked garbanzos. Cook until done
and add the roast meat; cover the contents of the pot with cilantro and
sprinkle with pepper and cinnamon; and if you add whole pine nuts or
walnuts in place of garbanzos, it will be good.
	1 1/2 lb lamb or beef
	2 15 oz cans chickpeas
	3 small onions = 3/4 lb
	1 t salt
	spices:
	1/4 t cumin
	1/2 t coriander
	1/2 t cinnamon
	1/4 t black pepper
	3 T olive oil
	1/4 c green coriander, pressed down
	1/8 t more pepper
	1/4 t more cinnamon
	Note: an earlier recipe in the same book calls for spices and
then specifies which ones: "all the spices, pepper, cinnamon, dried
coriander and cumin."
	Roast meat and cut into about 1/4" by 1/2" pieces. Slice onions.
Put chickpeas, onion, spices, salt and oil in a pot and cook over
moderate heat, stirring, for 10 minutes, turning down the heat toward the
end as it gets dry; add meat and cook one minute, add green coriander and
cook another minute, and turn off heat. Sprinkle with pepper and cinnamon
and serve.
	A Roste - Beef Roast with Crisps
	Fabulous Feasts- Medieval Cookery and Ceremony by Madeleine
Pelner Cosman ISBN 0-8076-0832-7 Posted by Jeff Pruett
	4 TB Or more butter or oil for searing meat
	5 lb. Beef roast tied with butcher's cord
	1/2 c Flour
	1 tsp. Cinnamon
	1 tsp. Salt
	1 tsp. Dried sweet basil; crushed
	1/2 tsp. Dried rosemary; crushed
	1/4 tsp. Thyme
	1 c Dates; pits removed, cut in halves
	1 c Dried figs; stems removed, -cut in strips
	1/2 c Dried apple rings; cut in halves
	2 TB Brown sugar or honey
	1 1/2 c Beef stock
	BATTER
	1 c Flour
	1 ea. Egg
	2/3 c Milk
	1/4 tsp. Salt
	1/2 tsp. (scant) baking powder
	1/4 c Chopped fresh parsley; crushed
	Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In Dutch oven or cast-iron pot
(either having tight covers) melt the butter. Dredge the roast with the
mixture of flour, cinnamon, and salt, and thoroughly sear in the heated
butter, browning all sides. Mix basil, rosemary, and thyme. Mix spices
with combined dates, figs, and apples. Arrange spiced fruits around the
meat. Sprinkle sugar or drizzle honey on fruits. Carefully pour on beef
stock around the edges of the pot so as to avoid 'flooding' any food
surfaces. Cover tightly. Bake at 350 degrees F for 3 hours, or until
tender. Remove from oven to cool for 30 minutes. Increase oven heat to
450 degrees F. Prepare a very thick batter by vigorously stirring all
batter ingredients except parsley. Add extra flour if necessary. Add
chopped parsley to the batter. Pour batter over the roast allowing the
excess to trickle down into the gravy. Return meat to hot oven (450
degrees F) for 5 to 10 minutes so that coating browns nicely. Cut the
roast in its dough jacket. Serve the 'crisps' which formed in the juices,
along with the gravy and fruit.
	Meat, Spit Roasted, with Egerdouce Sauce
	From The British Museum Cookbook by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson,
1987, British Museum Publications. Posted by Jennifer A. Newbury
(jn1t+ at andrew.cmu.edu)
	In medieval Europe, the spits were turned by kitchen boys and
were periodically dusted with spices and herbs. Since forks were still
almost unknown the slices of meat were eaten in the fingers but
accompanied by sauces. These were laid in small dishes (saucers) along
the tables, and diners would dip the little finger of the right had only
into the sauce and spread it on their meat. This finger was never licked
but carefully wiped on a napkin out of respect for fellow diners.
	In the modern kitchen-- any joint of meat can be used, but it
should be well flavored if the Egerdouce sauce is to be served with it.
Cook it on a spit, a barbecue, or on an open rack in the oven. Sprinkle
it lightly with ground mixed herbs plus a little of any spice that you
fancy.
	Egerdouce Sauce
	2 tablespoons olive oil
	75 g (3 oz) onions, roughly chopped
	25 g (1 oz) each of raisins and currants
	1/2 teaspoon each salt, ground ginger, mace and saffron
	1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
	120 ml (4 fl oz, 1/2 cup) dry white wine
	90 ml (3 fl oz, 1/3 cup) wine vinegar
	25 g (1 oz) sugar
	75 g (3 oz) wholemeal or whole wheat breadcrumbs
	Approx. 90 ml (3 fl oz, 1/3 c) water
	Gently cook the onions in the oil till they are soft. Add the
fruit and spices and cook for a few minutes. Melt the sugar in the wine
and vinegar and add this to the onion and fruits. Simmer all together,
covered for 15 minutes then process or liquidise. Return the mixture to
the pan and add the breadcrumbs and enough water to make a thick but not
claggy sauce. Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve with the roast
meat.