SC - Cooking by "hand"

Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com
Tue Aug 17 07:08:48 PDT 1999

My husband worked in his parent's restaurant all through his teen years.
He considered it as a career so attended summer semester at Johnson & Wales
Culinary Institute.  A particularly condescending older woman was in
attendance--a high school home ec teacher who never remembered that this
"boy" was a trained professional.  One recipe called for "an ounce of
slivered almonds" as a garnish.  His lab-partner the home ec teacher
flipped when he measured it out in his hand--and he exclaimed in mock
horror "Oh I forgot to measure it I'm sorry" and took his handful to the
measuring scale...whole class watching by now...
"Oh horrors I'm off by a thirty-second of an ounce" ...She finally got the
hint.

Emme