SC - Questions about Archives and Carrots

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 17 07:37:40 PDT 1999

harriet meeker wrote:

> I do believe, though, that I may have misrepresented my intention without
> meaning to.  If so, I am dreadfully sorry.  I didn't mean to suggest that
> people ignore possibilities just because there isn't any extant
> documentation to support them.

Please don't be sorry on my account! I'm a bit of a compulsive
completist, is all, and I tend to look at the unlikely possibilities as
well as the likely ones, at least at first. It's just a reasoning
exercise. I wasn't saying people ignore possibilities. I may have been
advocating my own style of reasoning, and perhaps a bit more than usual,
but not in any attempt to create angst.

> But I write a column for our local
> newsletter, trying to answer questions about the Middle Ages based solely on
> the documentation we have available to us.  Now it's true that neither I nor
> the people who help me with the research are always perfect with this, but
> it's the goal we shoot for.
>
> You all here are looking at answering some of the questions that
> arise about medieval cuisine and such, or so I'm told.  I believe for that
> sort of thing, careful speculation can be vital.  At least, that's what I
> hear from others :-)

Ya think? Come to think of it, I _have_ been accused of wild
speculation...ain't it great? On the other hand, I've never presented
speculation as anything else _but_ speculation.

> I'm not going to pretend I know much about anything myself.

I wasn't there, dunno nuttin', and I didn't do nuttin'. Ask Bobby Ray
and Timmy Joe, we was playin' cards that night, wasn't we??? I'm
innocent, I tell you!

>Left to my own
> devices, I'd be serving grits and greens :-)
>
> I was asked about colored carrots last week.  I don't know anyone who knows
> anything about them, except that Texas A&M's bred sweet maroon carrots.  So
> I was told to check out what had passed here before, since that would give
> us some clues where to look.

One could do a lot worse, of course, than grits and greens. As for
maroon carrots, I wonder if beets are involved in some way? Probably too
simple a concept, but worth a question or two in the right ear. You
might talk to someone at Texas A&M.

As for the information on the various archives and in the Florilegium
related to this question, the root-veg file seems not to have the
information I thought it did. Perhaps in a week or so, when various
people are back from Pennsic, you might try again. I know detailed
accounts of the process for turning Queen Anne's Lace back into carrots
has been posted a couple of times, presumably the people who posted the
accounts have the information handy.

Good luck!

Adamantius
- --