SC - FW: Fields of Gold information

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Aug 18 07:56:34 PDT 1999

> This Tasting is designed to bring out the Grandiose.

You can't have Grandiose without chocolate?

> Many would argue that Chocolate is not period,

Including most culinary historians.
Chocolate is period but it certainly was not Grandiose.

> This is a display
> contest designed around the premise "To the most decadent (with a period
> flair) go the Spoils"  Imagination definitely counts, and be not shy with
> thy presentation......

Oh! Imagination! Now I get it! Basically we can go to an alternate dimension
where milk chocolate was routinely eaten in London in the 1500's. Or is this
the case of the SCA's usual disclaimer of "if they would have had it they
would have used it"?

I'm sooooo eager to bring my period brownies and fudge!

> Pass it on

I'll pass.

> In Service, Ld Random"

Please forgive me for being far more rude than I tend to be on line but there
is just something that really gets to me about this. I think it's the cavalier
attitude that "well chocolate was discovered in period so all of our chocolate
tastes are covered" attitude. And the constant use of "chocolate" and "period"
is just screaming the wrong message.

I truly have no real problem with chocolate at events. When we were Crown
a group presented us with the most wonderful chocolate soltety of a chessboard
and chess pieces made from dark and white chocolate. I've served chocolate at
my feasts and I've even thrown the golden chocolate "coins".  But I've never
pretended it to be period. This is making people think that the hershey bar
is period.

Sorry for the rant.

Yers,

Gunthar
(Calming down with a nice cup of period coffee. Hey, I declared it period so
there!)