SC - gilding the goose?

lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Fri Aug 20 10:24:48 PDT 1999

I have included a possible recipe for gilding at the end of the message, but I
have a question on a related matter.

As a matter of course when I cook chicken mundanely, I loosen the skin across
the breast & gently slide pieces of bacon & herbed butter under the skin.  I
also tend to bake most poultry in a plastic bakers bag.  The effect of the bacon
& herbed butter is that the butter melts & takes the herbs (& nuts & spices &
whatever else I've thrown in) throughout the chicken & the bacon gives a smoky
taste to the chicken.  The roasting bag tends to have a similar effect to a pot
roast in that the meat is kept moist & tender (almost a smoked texture to it),
which can be particularly useful for goose & especially turkey.

Only problem is that I've not seen any period recipes that refer to putting such
"stuffing" under the skin in such a manner, although I have found recipes that
are where the chicken is baked covered "to keep moist", so the roasting bag
effect is fine.  So can anyone advise me on whether pushing herbed/spiced butter
(& bacon or such) under the skin of poultry is period, and if so a source would
be gratefully appreciated?

Lorix

Kristine Agnew wrote:

>    I am cooking a goose for an upcoming shire gathering and other than the
> standard recipes( ie. Plein Delit cookbook etc.)I wanted to do something
> quite snazzy but short of refeathering the goose after it was cooked (a
> period practice from what I read) Is there a something with which you can
> "gild" or make golden looking a cooked goose? I'm sure I have read this
> somewhere but for the life of me can't find it.
> I would appreciate any and all advice on this matter.
>
> Boudicca

While I can't find a goose recipe for gilding just at the moment I happened to
have this one on hand for chicken.  Whilst not as snazzy as the suggestion of
gilding with gold, it is certainy feasible.  I note the redaction is not mine
and I would attribute proper authorship, but alas it was downloaded from an
online source & the person who passed it on to me failed to note the author.

Chikenes Endoryd -roast chicken glazed with egg yolks.
Hieatt, Constance B. An Ordinance of Pottage. London: Prospect Books Ltd,
1988            p. 96
“161. Chickenes endoryed. Scall chykenes; draw out the brest bone with thy
fynggers; save the flesch & the skyn  hole. Rost hem till they be thorow, then
endore hem with yolkez of eyron. When the endoryng ys stiff & hard let hem rost
no more. Endore kydez in the same maner.”
REDACTION:
Gilded Chicken. Scald chickens; draw out the breast bone with your fingers; keep
the flesh & skin hole. Roast the chicken until done, then glaze it with egg
yolks. When the glaze is stiff & hard let it roast no more. Glaze kids (goats)
in the same manner.

     Chicken, whole or in pieces, and without the breat bone if possible
     egg yolks, beaten
Roast the chicken until done. Remove from oven, brush with egg yolk, and return
briefly to the oven until the glaze is set, approx. 1 minute. Don't overcook -
the chicken should be yellow, not brown. Repeat the process a few times for a
brighter shade.