SC - Making Period "Barrels" for serving at Feasts

Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com
Fri Aug 20 12:56:06 PDT 1999

>>suggestions for making the container look period on the outside?

OY.  now if you asked about 2-liter plastic soda bottles, that I have
suggestions for.  Although perhaps you could scale this idea up a bit.  A
brilliant lady I met in Principality of the Mists found a sale on wooden
"half-barrel" flowerpots, labeled by their size.  She bought two
"one-liter" pots & drilled a hole in the bottom of one, then "reassembled"
the barrel with the bottle inside and the screwtop sticking through the
hole.  She closed the gap with a metal band, attached a leather carrying
strap, and covered the plastic cap with a hollowed-out cork.

A fabulous bleachable barrel.  Unfortunately half-barrel flowerpots have
gone out of style and I haven't seen ANY that size in the 6 years I've been
looking!

Aside from that, my elderly great-aunts regularly get frozen food delivered
from specialty stores which means they have many styrofoam coolers.  An
artist friend found paint that would adhere to the plastic--several of the
"adobe" planters in their Albuquerque back yard are actually camoflaged
styrofoam.  (For them there is the additional benefit of keeping the plants
at a stable temperature above ground.)  So paint should stick.

However the plastic oil jugs we have are square so I'm kind of clueless.
Maybe a leather sack???

Good luck,
Emme