SC - Adventures with wafers - part the second (long)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 23 01:43:34 PDT 1999

Kerri Canepa wrote:

> These wafers are also much softer than the previous recipe and there's plenty of
> time to roll them before they harden. In fact, you'd have to hold them for a
> minute or two in whatever shape you want before they'll keep that shape. The
> texture is spongier and the wafers tear more than they break. I suspect the eggs
> in the recipe contribute greatly to this.
>
> As for taste, I place them more in the savory category than sweet. Again there's
> less sugar than the previous recipe but also there's the addition of salt which
> is absent from the first. My husband, after having been on a long distance
> motorcycle trip returned home tired and hungry, snagged one of the wafers upon
> walking into the kitchen and said "I don't like these as much." Well, they
> aren't the subtle cookie/wafer the first batch was. However, I think the second
> batch would hold up to hypocras in flavor. I don't particularly care for the
> texture but then who knows what wafers were really like?

I seem to recall a 16th-century French painting reprinted in the
Larousse Gastronomique, showing stacks of wafers being carried by a
waferer/wafer hawker on skewers; the impression I got from looking at it
was that they were, at least at some point in their existence, a bit on
the floppy side. There may have been a range between sweet and savory
ones (sweet ones do tend to get crisper as they cool), or they may
simply have been skewered while warm.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy