SC - Books

Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com
Mon Aug 23 05:32:36 PDT 1999

Hakan sez:
>>I plan to order a few books
Just a few...a man after my own heart.

>>A. Hagen:        A 2nd handbook of Anglosaxon Food And Drink.
Very scholarly but fascinating.  Few recipes, lots of context.  If you've
got volume 1 you'll be pleased as it's a good companion.

>>(C. Renfrow    Take A 1000 Eggs Or More)        ( ) = If I can find them
in a UK
Ms. Renfrow's on this list, if you can't find them she may be able to fix
that.  Remember there's 2 volumes to "1000 Eggs"--first with redactions,
second makes you experiment and do your own.  Both with wonderful artwork.

>>(Hieatt&Butler Curye On Inglysch)
No redactions, if you're looking for recipes you'll be flummoxed.  If
you're looking for academic analysis & textual transcriptions you'll be in
seventh heaven.

>>E. Roesdahl et al:The Vikings
If this is the big fat red book my husband bought a while ago, it's a very
detailed work, very dense with information, which for Robert was
delightful.  I've emailed him for confirmation.

>>F.L. Boucher et al: 20 000 Years of Fashion
I'm not fond of survey works.  An encyclopedia might be able to cover
20,000 years of fashion, but not one book.  Just Renaissance England could
fill a book the size of this one, and it attempts to do the entire history
of all humanity.  I'd suggest you find books that cover the period/culture
you're interested in.  Email me directly, my clothing-crazy laurel friend &
apprentices can probably find you books on everything from Andalusia to
Vikings.

>>Angus MacIomhair, soon in need of a new bookshelf
A well-reinforced bookshelf!  May I suggest 5-ply plywood?  :)

Emme