SC - Lefse/hleifr

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Aug 24 08:03:23 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/24/99 10:34:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

<< Back to the cheap and filling foods for feasts, maybe? >>

Hopefully not. The feasts we seek to recreate are for the most part fine
dining at it's best. Years of work has been done to educate the typical SCA
person regarding actual period feasts. The documentation of cheap and filling
food does not necessarily mean that those foods were ever served at feasts.

IMO, I hope such documentation either does not exist or else clearly
indicates that they were not meant to be used in situations of ceremony,
festival or fine dining. The corpus of recipes we have to work from were
clearly used for such occasions and the presence of cheap and filling at such
a meal is neither appropriate nor is it indicated in the extant cookery
manuals we have access to.

Ras