SC - Lefse/hleifr

Chris and Trish Makowski roecourt at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 25 11:01:02 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Decker, Terry D. <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>
To: 'sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG' <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 11:25
Subject: RE: SC - Lefse/hleifr

>The fact that Russia produced these grains in the half century before the
>Danish cook book does not demonstrate that the Danes also produced these
>grains.  The primary grain producing regions of Russia are further south
>than Scandinavia.  Also, the fact that they were produced, doesn't tell
much
>about how they were used.
>
>Bear

True, but historically throughout the period eras the Danes and other
Scandinavians were trading fairly heavily with the Russian areas, as they
were also trading with Constantinople. So I would say that there is a good
chance that the other grains would have been avaliable, at least to
households of the middle class, because the Domostroi talks of those four
grains as being the staples of the Household's baking. Even with teh grain
areas further outh, it would not be difficult to send a trade flotilla down
into those areas from most of Scandinavia.

Anya