SC - Removes or courses?

Thu Aug 26 13:51:30 PDT 1999

> >What we need are sets of appropriate and period terms in different
> >languages
> >to use for different types of feast.  That would help liven up the menu.
> >

> Give them enough other options that "remove" begins to sound boring,
> instead
> of soundingless familiar than "course" and somehowm more old-fashioned and
>
> therefore seeming the better medieval choice?
>
> Never work.

No. No.  To give me enough options to label the feast in a manner suitable
to the theme.  I like indulging my whims.

BTW, isn't a "remove" something the bounc--ah sergeant-at-arms does?

> By the way, I've never really asked: whatever you call it, is my choice to
>
> treat it as a "mini-meal" and send out a meal like variety of dishes at
> all
> the right thing to do?  I don't set out an appetizer or salad, then soup,
> entree, veggies, dessert all in a procession.  I send out a mix of
> meat/veg/other, then another set, then a dessert.  If I were doing a
> really
> major feast, like a 12th night, I might send out 3 courses and finish with
>
> dessert.  Or send out a subtelty in between courses.
>
> I never studied to see if it's the right thing, just acted on my own
> irritation at a slow trickle of foods coming out, reinforced by learning
> of
> my baron's irritation at same.
>
> Bonne

I'd have to check sources to give you the quotes, but I gather that a number
of dishes served together is common for much of Western Europe.  In
contrast, the Germans served one dish courses.  The format of three courses
of several dishes first appears under the auspices of Catherine de Medici.

I fell into a pattern similar to yours (I often start with a dessert),
because of my irritation with feasts I had attended.  The format is also
less disruptive if you have entertainment planned.

Bear