SC - OT -bellpepper baking

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Aug 26 20:45:46 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 24 Aug 99,, that Stefan li Rous wrote:

> We have talked about stuffed breads here before. Are there any other
> stuffed items (other than meats) in the medieval corpus? Were fruits
> stuffed and baked? What about onions? Ok, I do see stuffed aubergines in
> "The Original Medieval Cuisine". Stuffed cabbage perhaps?

I haven't come across many stuffed veggies in period sources.
Eggplants/aubergines, yes, as you and others have observed.  Stuffed
eggs appear in several cuisines.  I have found one late-period recipe for
stuffed onion:

PARA HAZER CEBOLLAS ENTERAS EN CAZUELA EN DIA DE
QUARESMA
To Make Whole Onions in Casserole on a Lenten Day
Source: _Libro del Arte de Cozina_, 1599
Translation: Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)

Take the white onions, and sweet ones, and the bigger they are, the
better, and make them cook in water and salt, in such a manner that
they are well cooked, and take them out and let them cool and drain,
and puncture them with the knife, so that the water will come out better,
and being drained moisten them with a bit of cold water, and flour them,
and put them in a tart pan with enough hot olive oil that they will be
more than half covered, and give them fire below and above, turning
them several times, and being cooked serve them with oil and cinnamon
on top.  You can also cover with garlic sauce and green sauce.  But if
someone wants to stuff them, first before cooking them make a hole in
the middle that does not extend to the bottom, and stuff them with the
composition for the eggplants, and sustain them [sotestense?] without
flouring them, as we have said, with oil, and a little verjuice, and water
tinted with saffron, and salt, and pepper, cinnamon, and a little handful
of chopped herbs, and serve them with that broth.  You can put cheese
in the stuffing, and eggs, and in place of oil, butter, and it will always be
better, before stuffing them, to give them a boil in the water.

note: the stuffing instructions from the eggplant recipe are to scoop out
the inside of the eggplants and chop it "together with odiferous herbs,
and old walnuts pounded [in a mortar], and almonds, and a little grated
bread, pepper, cloves, cinnamon, and a clove of garlic finely cut, adding
to it a bit of oil, and verjuice, and stuff the eggplants with this
composition..."  I cannot tell from these instructions if the stuffing for
onion should be based on the chopped innards of eggplant or the
chopped innards of the onion.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)