SC - OT -bellpepper baking

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 26 21:19:56 PDT 1999

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> But if
> someone wants to stuff them, first before cooking them make a hole in
> the middle that does not extend to the bottom, and stuff them with the
> composition for the eggplants, and sustain them [sotestense?] without
> flouring them, as we have said, with oil, and a little verjuice, and water
> tinted with saffron, and salt, and pepper, cinnamon, and a little handful
> of chopped herbs, and serve them with that broth.  You can put cheese
> in the stuffing, and eggs, and in place of oil, butter, and it will always be
> better, before stuffing them, to give them a boil in the water.
>
> note: the stuffing instructions from the eggplant recipe are to scoop out
> the inside of the eggplants and chop it "together with odiferous herbs,
> and old walnuts pounded [in a mortar], and almonds, and a little grated
> bread, pepper, cloves, cinnamon, and a clove of garlic finely cut, adding
> to it a bit of oil, and verjuice, and stuff the eggplants with this
> composition..."  I cannot tell from these instructions if the stuffing for
> onion should be based on the chopped innards of eggplant or the
> chopped innards of the onion.

I agree, one can't be certain from the instructions given, but it seems
highly likely, since the eggplant pulp is simply replaced as part of the
stuffing for the eggplants, that the onions are stuffed with a mixture
of the other ingredients and the scooped-out onions, rather than with a
separate preparation made from eggplants.

Not that the common-sense answer is always the right one, mind you.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com