SC - Domostroi Recipes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Aug 27 07:19:22 PDT 1999

At 7:46 PM -0500 8/26/99, Jenn/Yana wrote:

>I just want to caution people on using the English translation of the
>Domostroi for Russian food research.

Have you checked the original of the term that she translates as "sour
cabbage soup?" In context, it sounds as though it might be alegar or
something similar.

Incidentally, you can find our redaction of the cabbage recipe in the
_Miscellany_; I'm not sure if it is in the webbed version or not (the
webbed version is a couple of editions out of date), but it is in the
hardcover.

David/Cariadoc

David Friedman
Professor of Law