SC - Domostroi Recipes

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 27 14:03:06 PDT 1999

>Have you checked the original of the term that she translates as "sour
>cabbage soup?" In context, it sounds as though it might be alegar or
>something similar.
>
>David/Cariadoc

I thought you'd like to know that.  :)

The original term is "kislye shchi", which does literally translate to
"sour/fermented cabbage soup" (shchi).
******
Conjectures follow:

I am wondering if it (the sour cabbage soup) might just be the juice
leftover from making pickled cabbage/sauerkraut ("kislaia kapusta").  Maybe
"kislye shchi" is a term for the juice?  I don't know.  Maybe it is a soup
in and of itself like rassolnik.

As for alegar, there are modern Russian recipes for making soups that use
beer or kvas (lightly fermented mash beverage) as a base or use pickle
(various types) brine.

*Rassolnik (cucumber pickle and brine soup)
*Solyanka (a savory, tart soup/food in which sauerkraut or pickled
cucumbers are one of the main ingredients).

Modern recipes for shchi say that you can use sauerkraut instead of fresh
cabbage, but you have to drain the juice first.  Perhaps the Domostroi
recipe has you adding some sourness by pouring in some reserved juice?

Ilyana Barsova (Yana)  jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
Slavic Interest Group http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html