SC - What's a "redaction?"

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Aug 27 20:10:55 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/27/99 4:19:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:

<< I managed never to see Ras'
 complaint about it.

 Bonne >>

Actually I have no complaint about it. I like the word redaction and think we
are using it appropriately.

Merriam-Webster says;

re*dact (verb transitive)

[Middle English, from Latin redactus, past participle of redigere]

First appeared 15th Century

 1 : to put in writing : FRAME

 2 : to select or adapt for publication : EDIT

re*dac*tion (noun)

[French redaction, from Late Latin redaction-, redactio active of reducing,
compressing, from Latin redigere to bring back, reduce, from re-, red- re- +
agere to lead -- more at AGENT]

First appeared 1785

 1 : an act or instance of redacting something

 2 : a work that has been redacted : EDITION, VERSION

I fail to see where we are using it incorrectly.

Ras