SC - OT rye verses pumpernickle

Sat Aug 28 08:33:37 PDT 1999

I am presuming we are talking about bread rather than the grain.  Rye and
pumpernickel are both made from rye flour.  They are often made with
molasses as the sweetener.  Pumpernickel often has coffee or cocoa added to
make it darker.  The primary natural difference is that pumpernickel is a
coarser meal with lots of bran.  For this reason, pumpernickel has more
roughage than rye, which is useful in reducing cholesterol and
triglycerides.  Other than that, there is no inherent health benefit of
which I am aware between the two types of bread.

Bear