SC - icelandic sour Dough?

Tollhase1 at aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Mon Aug 30 18:55:18 PDT 1999

Hmm, I am almost sorry I poised the original question concerning dough.

Should we not be careful that we are talking the same issue?  For example:
When critiquing a play (not reviewing), I must judge it by its own form and
purpose.  I.E. I would expect A tragedy not to be funny.  Although I have oft
seen genres reversed with interesting and unique results.  It is only by
using standards, can one critique properly.  I.e. a musical comedy has a
certain form and expectation from its audience.  Does the production met
those expectations?  If so, it is good, if not back to the Debatable Lands.

OK, what is my point.

Some of us, are academically looking at reproducing foods as historically
accurately as possible regardless of the results.  That does not mean bad
foods, but rather if it does not state it, or we can prove was done about
that time and place by primary sources, we can't do it.  Looking for
reductions or food, or food history is a mystery game.  We have the obvious
clue, the recipe.  We have what was known to have been happening about the
same time, other similar recipes. We have non food histories we must consult
to see how things moved.  Trade routes, weather reports,
Trade agreements.  Scientific discoveries.  I could go on and on.  But alas
another time.

Some of us, are looking for period like dishes regardless of place and time.
Such as I want to make beans and franks.  Let see it any of these ingredients
were ever used within our period at all. They do not even have to be the same
place or time.  Then we can make the dish.

Some of us, are trying to be accurate, but lack the knowledge yet to be
reasonably accurate.

Some of us, are trying to make period dishes that for practical reasons,
tasting good must be first consideration. I.E. having an encampment or feast
spitting out the food despite the claims from the kitchen, "Poisoning is
period."  There in the same group are those for cost, or availability reasons
make substitutions (Hopefully good ones) to produce good medieval like food.

Yes, I can hear one person say, If you can not make the recipe as written do
not make it.  At times I agree with him.  Yet, by changing a single
ingredient and thus exposing more gentles to good medieval LIKE foods, I am
all for it.  I believe As long as we identify what we do we are OK.  Its a
period book I am OK, your OK.

As for myself, I will strive with my own experimentation's to be as
historically accurate as possible.  For my shire, when I am feastacrate, I
will be much more practical.

OK back to my point.  Please when reading people's comments.  Remember why
you wrote, why they are writing.  When people seem to be attacking you, it
just may be a shift in perception.  Like Really, OK, from that person I will
usually get NAZI periodness, and that person is like really very practical
and would serve franks and beans (Franks were Germanic people and I believe
someone has documented that there were some beans around)  Check the files.
Remember communication and perception is a two way street.

I hope that I have not misread the gentle being tiffed at a remark about
dough made by another.  And if this spirit doth offend.  Send Me Mead and I
will stay quiet.

Frederich