SC - Re: "Interpretation" vs. "Redaction"

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 31 04:24:12 PDT 1999

RuddR at aol.com wrote:

> Interestingly, Hieatt and Butler don't really call their redactions anything
> other than recipes they've "worked out".  They use "adapted" to describe the
> work of predecessors in the field:
>
> "A third and slightly overlapping category is that of the historical
> cookbooks which present a selection of medieval recipes 'adapted' for modern
> tastes . . . frequently so drastically adapted as to be along way from
> authenticity." (Pleyn Delit, p viii)

Hey, _I'm_ not the one recommending the addition of bread crumbs to a
perfectly good cheesecake [sambucade] filling simply because the
original recipe tells us to "put in the crust" or some such.

Admittedly that was in the notorious first edition; this may have been
corrected in subsequent editions.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy