SC - questions: TO BOIL PHEASANTS, PARTRIDGES, CAPONS AND CURLEWS

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Aug 31 06:03:53 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/31/99 2:23:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ddendy at silk.net
writes:

<< The idea
 that for some reason canel/cassia/cinnamon ground up was referred to as
 "flour/flower", when all other spices ground up were powders, is something
 perpetrated by early translators of cookery books, who were not very
 familiar with spices, and didn't know that cassia buds were a popular spice
 in period Europe.

 Francesco Sirene

 P.S. If you want to try cassia buds, we can supply them. >>

This is possible and since this is your area of expertise, I can accept your
interpretation. However, a thought comes to mind....is flower of cloves the
same thing? Because cloves are flower buds, I would assume that the term
flower of cloves would be a little redundant. Yet I have seen this phrase in
period cookery manuals also. Anyway thanks for pointing out that you have
actual cassia flowers in stock. Now I have another spice to add to my
collection. :-)

Ras