SC - Anthro and cooking

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Aug 31 09:15:47 PDT 1999

At 9:55 PM -0400 8/29/99, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

>IIRC, the earliest known Chinese pasta references I've seen are from
>roughly the 9th century C.E., albeit from secondary sources because I'm
>illiterate. I'm pretty sure there are recipes for various boiled dough
>sheet dishes (tracta) in Cato's De Re Agricultura. Possibly a bit coarse
>and heavy by today's standards, but then most of the medieval Italian
>pasta was too, and no one disqualifies that as pasta.

I believe Charles Perry had an old PPC article in which he concluded that
the evidence for pasta in classical antiquity was ambiguous. On the other
hand, there are lots of Islamic pasta recipes that predate Marco Polo, so
it seems hard to believe that, if the Europeans wanted to borrow pasta from
somewhere, they would have had to go all the way to China to find it.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/