SC - White Pepper in Period

David Dendy ddendy at silk.net
Wed Dec 1 07:10:02 PST 1999

Disclaimer/clarification -- the recipes entitled "Allowes de Mutton" and
"A-nother manere" do appear in my book "Take a Thousand Eggs or More", but
the recipe given here for rolled pork roast is by THL Gillian of Lynnhaven,
not by me.

Just FYI, neither oranges nor apricots are mention in Harleian Ms 279 or
Harleian Ms 4016.

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
cindy at thousandeggs.com
Recipes"
http://www.thousandeggs.com -- please come visit my new web site!

<snip>
>Pork Roast with Apricot & Prune Stuffing
>by THL Gillian of Lynnhaven
>
>"Allowes de Mutton: Take faire mutton of the Buttes, and kutte hit in the
>maner of stekes; And then take faire rawe parcelly, and oynons shred smale,
>yolkes of eron sodden hard, and mary or suet; hew all thes smale togidre,
>and then case thereto pouder of ginger, and saffron, and stere hem togidre
>with thi honde, and ley hem vppe- on the stekes al abrode; and cast
>there-to salt, and rolle hem togidre, and put hem on a spitte and roste hem
>until the be ynough."    "Take a Thousand Eggs or More",  vol. 1, Cindy
>Renfrow, p. 107 (from the Harleian Ms 4016)
>
>"A-nother manere: Take Fygys, Roysonys, and Porke, and a lytel brede
>y-ground y-fere; tak hym vppe, and purt Pepir y-now ther-to, and Maces,
>Clowys, and make thin in cofyn, and outte thin comade ther-on." "Take a
>Thousand Eggs or More",  vol. 2, Cindy Renfrow, p. 215 (from the Harleian
>Ms 279)
>
>While not exact, the following recipe uses the same general idea of rolling
>a roast with fruit, spices and breadcrumbs.  There are other examples using
>apricots and prunes instead of figs and raisins.
>
>1   3lb Pork Roast (loin or shoulder)
>4 ft. Butchers string
>  Stuffing:
>¼ cup Apricots, dried and diced
>2 Tbs. Prunes, dried, pitted and diced
>3 Tbs. Triple Sec (orange liqueur)
>3 Tbs. Onions, chopped
>1 cup herbed dry Stuffing (Pepperidge Farm)
>¼ cup Chicken Broth
>3 Tbs. Butter, melted
>2 tsp. Orange peel, freshly grated
>½ tsp. Pouder Fort*