SC - Recipe question.

Jennifer Rushman rushmaj at basf-corp.com
Thu Dec 2 08:35:49 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 2 Dec 99,, that Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 Lady Brighid ni Chiarain writes:
>

> > > Happy Chanukah to all those it applies to.
> >
> > Thank you.  I really gotta polish the Chanukah menorah tomorrow.
> <snippage of a wonderful holiday celebration >

>   I want to thank you for that lovely description of your holiday
> observances.  I was picturing you there, with your hubby and mother, and
> then with your larger family, and then I was thankful that I had met you
> this summer at Pennsic, and could picture you there and follow you through
> your Chanukah.

My Chanukah is somewhat less traditional than some, as mine is a two-
religion household.    Today, I will polish the menorah -- a battered,
brass-plated affair with two rampant lions -- that belonged to my
grandparents.  Tonight, I will help my lord husband decorate the
Christmas tree that is *his* link to childhood holiday celebrations.  To
be fully accurate, I should amend my list of Chanukah procedures:
1. Unplug Christmas tree.
2. Light candles
(etc.)

>   We have our weekly Chorusters Guild rehearsal at the home of Baron
> William de Montegilt and his lady, Mistress Irene, and we all look
> forward to the Tuesday night during Chanukah when we get to help light the
> menorah (s?).  They have several on the mantel piece, and the kids are
> learning to recite the Hebrew, so it has become our traditon as well.

It can be a lovely, enriching experience to partake, even vicariously, of
other people's traditions.  I very much enjoyed Master A's descriptions
of his family's Thanksgivings, especially the one with his wife's family

>  My favorite is the menorasaurus!  (picture a brontosaur with candles
> down it's back:)

There's a shop in the town where I work that has an exquisite menorah --
 a line of bronze dancers in 19th century East European garb, hands
joyously held high, and each hand grasping a candle.  A town near me
has a large menorah displayed in the central square.  It's not the usual
metal-pipes and electric-bulb version.  This one is supplied by a local
Orthodox yeshiva (seminary), and it is built of wood, surmounted by 9
oil-burning hurricane lanterns.

>   Have a blessed Holiday,
>   Mistress Christianna MacGrain

Thank you.  May your own holidays be full of light and joy.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net