SC - Help for Novices

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Thu Dec 2 17:37:34 PST 1999

>So period Russian cookbooks do exist then? Titles and locations would go a
>long way in finding out if (or how) they could be made available for
>study.....
>
>Or am I interpreting his statement all wrong?
>
>Ras

Unfortunately, that is not what I meant :(

The censors stopped censoring ALL cookbooks after the 1950s, but this would
be contemporary cookbooks.  What that suggests is that if someone had found
a period treatise on cooking and had wanted to publish it, that it would
have been possible to do so and the censors would not even have reviewed it
(let alone stopped it).  Censors are busy people and there are some things
that were just too silly (in their minds) to
spend time on -- cookbooks were one.  [The list of items no longer censored
also included greeting cards, instrumental music, and invitations]

- -- Paul
goldschp at uwplatt.edu