SC - mustard recipes

grizly@mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 3 04:46:57 PST 1999

"Pink Sunshine" wrote:
> ... Anyway, thanks on the tip for the saffron substitute. I
>looked at saffron at the store tonight and it was between 13 & 14 dollars,
>which was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. ...

Unless that store is selling saffron at least about 4 grams to the package
(or you're using a currency other than US), it's seriously overpriced. Maybe
they're trying to take advantage of everyone who thinks that saffron is
incredibly expensive. Some stores sell it for under $3 per gram, or
proportionally less for larger amounts. Shop around.

As for substitutes, there are none. Only attempts to compensate for its
absence. People go ahead and buy saffron even when they can't find a good
price because there is nothing else like it. Fortunately, saffron is not
only the world's most expensive spice, it's also one of the most potent. A
dozen threads (about .3 g) per serving is enough (at least) for almost any
dish, while some people prefer only a thread or two per serving.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon