SC - GLAZED LEG OF LAMB

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 3 05:43:18 PST 1999

My redaction of the Le Menagier follows:

Mustard (Le Menagier De Paris, ca. 1393 (Powers)
MUSTARD. If you wish to provide for keeping mustard a long time do it at wine-harvest in sweet must. And some say that the must should be boiled. Item, if you want to make mustard hastily in a village, grind some mustard-seed in a mortar and soak in vinegar, and strain; and if you want to make it ready the sooner, put it in a pot in front of the fire. Item, and if you wish to make it properly and at leisure, put the mustard-seed to soak overnight in good vinegar, then have it ground fine in a mill, and then little by little moisten it with vinegar: and if you have some spices left over from making jelly, broth, hypocras or sauces, they may be ground up with it, and then leave it until it is ready.

2 tablespoons ground yellow mustard seed
2 tablespoons vinegar
pinch black spices

Mix the mustard and vinegar together into a smooth paste.  Add spice mix and let stand to meld and/or mellow for a week or more. The  mustard I entered in Kingdom A&S was nine days old, and agewd gracefully for another two weeks (it was gone by then).  The black spice powder is adapted from "The Medieval Kitchen": equal parts black pepper and long pepper (1/4 cup each) to 1/2 tsp ground cloves and a whole grated nutmeg.  You only use a pinch in the small recipe above, so it lasts a long time.  The black spices are also great on a pan roasted beef steak!

simple recipe with delightful outcome.  Pungent taste followed 3-5 seconds later by an intense heat.  Marvelous on lamb and pork.

niccolo difrancesco

sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG wrote:

>hi all from Anne-Marie
>
>does anyone have a favorite homemade mustard recipe they'd care to share?
>I'm especially interested in period ones, ie one like le Menagier, or
>Epilarios, and ones that dont contain eggs.

Here is one from the Harpestreng-manuscript, Icelandic version, late 15th
century:

"Item sem salsa mustar
Taka skal mustard ok lata til þridiung af hunangi. ok tíunda hlut af afsi.
enn tvo slik af kanele. mala þetta. alltt saman med stercktt edik. lata
sidan j legil. þat dugir um þria manadi."

Another mustard sauce
Take mustard and add a third as much of honey, and a tenth of aniseed, and
twice as much cinnamon (as aniseed). Grind this all together with a strong
vinegar, then put in a cask. It will keep for three months.

The other versions of this recipe I have are very similar.

This is a hot mustard, very good for lamb or well-flavored ham. I do use a
bit less aniseed, though.

Nanna