SC - OT - Antipodean Holidays

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Thu Dec 2 18:16:30 PST 1999

cclark at vicon.net wrote:

> Adamantius wrote:
> >Just thinking out loud here...if 150 is the final temperature, it might
> >end up being medium, but it would be closer to 125 when you take it out
> >of the oven or turn the oven off; it'll continue to cook, as I say, in
> >its own ambient heat.
>
> I see that you're an SCA cook. :-) For those of us who are used to smaller
> quantities, carry-over cooking tends to be only 10F or so. And the hardest
> part of roasting is positioning the thermometer at the center rather than
> the edge. :-)

Valid considerations. However, I wouldn't bother roasting anything under
three pounds or so, unless it was sauteed to brown and then quickly
finished in a hot oven. I figure for something like a leg of lamb, which
is what I thought the recipe was for, it masses enough for more than 10
degrees carryover. I expect that from a fryer-broiler chicken.

Adamantius, who admittedly got the 110 degree idea from roasting several
whole beef tenderloins each morning for years.
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com