SC - GLAZED LEG OF LAMB

Pink Sunshine pinksunshine at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 3 10:18:32 PST 1999

The only Spitzenberg I can find information for is the variety "Esopus
Spitzenberg."  Thomas Jefferson's favorite.  "USA; arose with the "low
Dutch" at Esopus, Ulster Co, New York.  Known before 1790."  Morgan &
Richards, "The Book of Apples," 1993.  Their material is heavily slanted to
English & American varieties, however, so if this was derived from an
earlier Dutch or German variety it might not be covered in their
descriptions.

Morgan & Richards also has the following to say about the other varieties:

Summer Rambo - "Rambo d'Ete" - synonym of Rambour Franc.  "Believed this
arose near the village of Rambure, near Abbeville, Picardy."  [Remember
"The Advocate?"  ;-> ] " 'De Rambure' recorded 1535 by botanist Jean de la
Ruelle; known in England 1665."

Sops in Wine - "UK; many varieties of this name in literature.  [fruit in
Brogdale collection] does not match descriptions of variety recorded
1831..."   Do you have an earlier attribution for this cultivar?

Fameuse - "Canada (prob).  Seed poss brought from France, planted c1730 at
Chimney Point nr Lake Champlain between Vermont and New York State.  Syns
many."  This doesn't sound like a period variety!

Api - synonym Lady Apple - "France; found in ancient Forest of Api,
Brittany, according to French botanist Merlet.  Recorded 1628 by Le
Lectier.  Recorded England 1676 by Worlidge.  Syns numerous.  Lady Apple of
North America.  Not the reputedly Roman Appia of c16th, according to French
and Italian authorities."

The best-documented "period" apple would appear to be Court Pendu Plat:
"described 1613 by Bauhin, but believed older.  Known Court Pendu Rouge in
France.  History much confused with Court Pendu Gris.  Syns numerous;
include Wise Apple because flowers late and escapes spring frosts.  Claimed
Roman origin, but Lery considered Court Pendu Gris had ancient
associations.  'Capendu,' syn Court Pendu Gris appeared in accounts of
Normany abbeys in C15th and in 1420 was on sale Rouen market.  By c16th
grown all over France, also Italy, Switzerland.  Some claimed it was Roman
and Cestiana of Pliny.  Estienne named it Court Pendu in 1540, because it
was 'short hanged' ie short stalk.  'Capenda' known to Parkinson in 1629;
Court Pendu Plat known England by c18th."

There is also the original Old Pearmain, which may or may not be the
variety mentioned in both England and France ca. 1200.  You would probably
have to get scion wood from the Brogdale Trust for this one.

Also there is 'Blanc Dur,' which again may or may not be the same as the
'Blandurel'  introduced to England by Queen Eleanor in 1280.  I would love
to get a couple of these...

Colin