SC - latkes

Lilinah biti-Anat lilinah at grin.net
Fri Dec 3 15:07:42 PST 1999

I have purchased potatoes for tonight.  I really shouldn't indulge, but it's
a holiday, damn the scale, full speed ahead.  Well, sorta.  I'm going to
pan-fry the latkes with a token amount of oil in a non-stick pan.  In a
little while, the brisket will go into the crock-pot, along with onions,
carrots, beef broth and some red wine.  Garlic and paprika are not bad
things either.  I never before had any luck with pot roast until I tried it in
the crock-pot.  And if you puree some of the cooked carrots and onions
with the liquid, you get a luscious, low-fat gravy that goes nicely with
latkes.

Hmmm, your dinner sounds much more interesting than mine ( mac n
cheese) too much too do to cook tonight

.  Alas, my grandmother was never much a baker, which is
my primary area of interest.. She has, however, said kind things
about my challah and babka.

Oooh, sounds good

> Although your dream Spanish dictionary sounds cool, What's it called?

Lady Huette kindly mentioned a dealer who carries many esoteric
language materials:
http://www.schoenhofs.com/
(Lady Huette, did I ever thank you for posting that link?)  One of the
titles they carry is a 2-volume, 1600+ page dictionary of medieval
Spanish.  (ALONSO-PEDRAZ, M    Diccionario medieval español)

I haven't seen this beast, and at $169.95, it's the sort of thing I'd be
*real* nervous about buying sight unseen.  For all I know, it may be an
excellent work -- and thoroughly useless for the purpose of translating
16th century recipes, which is why I put it in the "wildest dreams"
category.

Ouch! Although , now I've got yet another link to go look at, sigh!,
So many books, so little time

Fiona